After a heart attack or surgery, the Cardiac Rehabilitation team at Levinson Heart Hospital, located within Chippenham Hospital, focuses on returning you back to your active lifestyle. Our dedicated team of nurses, exercise physiologists and dietitians will help you and your family adjust to changes in your life after a cardiac event.
At Levinson Heart Institute, we care for more hearts, valves, veins, and arteries than any other health system in Central Virginia. Opened in 2003, Levinson was the first heart hospital in Virginia. For more than a decade, physicians and hospital teams have worked tirelessly to build the region’s premier cardiac care center, proving that experience matters when you’re dealing with the complex cardiovascular system.
With our experience, we know how to return you back to the lifestyle you once had.
Contact Our Levinson Heart Clinic
Steps Toward Recovery
Our cardiac rehabilitation program offers comprehensive education, risk factor identification and modification, and exercise therapy for persons with heart disease, peripheral artery disease, heart failure and other chronic diseases.
The first step toward a healthy future is to recover from your cardiac event. Our team will work with you to reduce the potential for a heart attack through risk factor modification, and help you to recognize symptoms of heart disease and when to seek medical attention. You will begin an exercise program designed to fit your needs. Although aerobic exercise is emphasized, your program may also include flexibility and muscle strengthening. With physical activity and good nutrition, you will work toward your ideal body weight and cholesterol level.
An important part of our Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is providing you and your family with the latest information on heart disease. Risk factor modification and educational programs are available and guided by your goals, needs, and abilities. You can learn more about your heart and ways to reduce the potential for future heart problems. In time, you may return to your regular work and leisure activities. Most likely, you will adopt an improved lifestyle with help from the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program.
Common Questions about Cardiac Rehab
- How much does it cost? Our services are covered by most insurance carriers. Your carrier will be contacted to verify your benefits. You may be responsible for co-payments.
- How often will I exercise? Cardiac rehab sessions are scheduled 3 times a week and last about 1 hour. You will also be encouraged to be active and exercise at home.
- Can my family participate? Family participation is encouraged during the educational component, but the exercise part is designed to fit your specific needs.
- When can I start cardiac rehab? Your doctor may allow you to begin as early as one week following hospital discharge; although, with some heart conditions it may be longer.
- What do I need to do before starting? A doctor must refer you for cardiac rehabilitation. Once the department receives the order, the Cardiac Rehab nurse will call you to schedule your first appointment.
A heart problem can change everything about your life. You may hesitate to do the things you need to do or enjoyed doing before your hospitalization. Our Cardiac Rehabilitation Program and dedicated staff of nurses, exercise physiologists, and dietitians will help you and your loved ones adjust to changes in your life after a cardiac event.