Levinson Heart Institute
Committed to care and fast recovery since opening in 2003, the Levinson Heart Institute at Chippenham Hospital is recognized as the first heart hospital in Virginia.
For more than a decade, physicians and hospital teams have worked tirelessly to build the region’s premier cardiac care center, proving that experience matters when you’re dealing with the complex cardiovascular system. Our cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons are consistently voted the best in Richmond among their peers, and are devoted to advancing heart care in central Virginia.
For any questions about our cardiology services, or to schedule an appointment with a heart doctor at Chippenham Hospital, contact us by phone at (804) 483-3015 or by email.
Heart and vascular care and treatment
Heart conditions we treat
Heart care services
- Acute cardiac care
- Arrhythmia management
- Cardiac imaging
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Cardiothoracic surgery
Electrophysiology and cardiac arrhythmia
Electrophysiology is the study of abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias). If you've been diagnosed with arrhythmia, chances are you might be overwhelmed and may not know which direction to turn.
You're not alone. More than 2.5 million Americans are diagnosed with a complex cardiac arrhythmia, resulting in more than 850,000 annual hospitalizations. You can rest easier knowing you've got the experts at Levinson Heart Institute ready to help.
Levinson Heart Institute cares for more hearts, valves, veins and arteries than any other health system in central Virginia. For more than a decade, physicians and hospital teams have worked tirelessly to build the region's premier cardiac care center, proving that experience matters when you're dealing with the complex cardiovascular system. As the home to central Virginia's only arrhythmia care unit, we treat both atrial arrhythmias and ventricular arrhythmias.
In our electrophysiology program, you’ll benefit from:
- 3 electrophysiology labs
- Over 20+ years of experience focused on heart rhythm
- 4 experienced electrophysiology physicians
- Strong collaboration with your comprehensive cardiac care team
- One of the most established hybrid ablation programs in the country, where physicians from multiple hospitals have come to train
- Dedicated support services, including cardiac anesthesia, coronary care unit and unique inpatient arrhythmia care unit
- The latest technological advancements to serve our patients
What is cardiac arrest?
Cardiac arrest means that the heart suddenly stops beating. The source of this condition is due to arrhythmia, or an irregular beating pattern of the heart. Cardiac arrest is not the same as a heart attack. When a person has a heart attack, the blood flow to the heart is interrupted. This may be due to problems with the coronary arteries, such as a build-up of plaque, a blood clot or a thickening of the artery walls.
Sudden cardiac arrest does not discriminate based on age, gender, race or individual lifestyle. It can strike those who are in picture perfect fitness, even world class athletes. The most common type of arrhythmia to cause cardiac arrest is ventricular fibrillation.
Cardiac treatment options
Levinson Heart Institute at Chippenham Hospital is proud to offer the S-ICD (Subcutaneous Implantable Cardiac Defibrillator), which is a newer alternative to a traditional ICD device for ventricular fibrillation.
ICD therapy is a trustworthy therapy that has prolonged thousands of lives. The S-ICD uses groundbreaking technology to sense the heart rhythm, which allows it to quickly detect and correct abnormal heartbeats (arrhythmias). Unlike traditional ICDs, the S-ICD System is implanted under the skin, creating a more discrete option while also leaving the heart and blood vessels untouched.
Candidates for S-ICDs are patients who:
- Have low ejection fraction or heart failure
- Are post-myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Do not require pacing and have a low heart rate
- Have vascular access challenges
- Have a higher risk for endovascular infection
- Want a more discreet device placement
- Have had a traditional ICD removed
What is the difference between S-ICD and a pacemaker?
Both devices are implanted in people and both use electrical impulses to stimulate the heart.
- Pacemakers help control an abnormally slow heart rhythm by sending small electrical pulses to the heart if it is beating too slowly.
- ICD devices, such as the S-ICD System, send electric shocks to the heart when a dangerously fast heartbeat is detected in order to restore a normal heart rhythm. It is designed to prevent cardiac arrest.
Comprehensive lung care
Cardiothoracic surgery for the lungs and heart
Also known as thoracic surgery, cardiothoracic surgery often provides combined treatments for the heart and lungs. Levinson Heart Institute’s cardiothoracic surgeons use a variety of procedures to treat diseases of the lung and esophagus.
Treatable lung conditions by our cardiothoracic surgeons include:
- Lung cancer
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Lung failure
- Esophageal cancer
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm
Lung cancer: If you’re diagnosed with lung cancer, you’ll receive a comprehensive treatment plan, and depending on your individualized treatment you may benefit from the services of our specialists at the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Johnston-Willis Hospital. Our program's diverse team of specialists, advanced resources and full continuum of lung cancer care are important qualities that have helped us earn the trust and confidence of our patients.
Depending on your surgery, you may also be a candidate for robotic surgery, which means minimal scarring, less pain and faster recovery. Learn more about how robotic surgery could benefit you.
Frequent procedures include:
- Complex thoracic lung surgery
- Minimally invasive lung surgery
- Thoracic aortic surgery
Our qualified specialists are able to give patients comprehensive testing and tailored treatment plans–fast. We pride ourselves on the immediate attention we give our patients.
Why choose Levinson Heart Institute
Multispecialty cardiovascular centers and programs
From advanced tools for diagnosing conditions to the latest surgical innovation, we are at the forefront of the healthcare industry providing procedures and technologies including:
- Convergent maze and WATCHMAN implants for atrial fibrillation
- daVinci® robotic surgeries
- S-ICD for ventricular arrhythmias
We have a variety of centers and programs in our facility that provide quick and convenient care management for heart and respiratory conditions, including:
Our multispecialty experts include:
- Cardiothoracic surgeons
From diagnosis through treatment and rehabilitation, the board–certified and fellowship–trained cardiac experts at Chippenham will deliver customized, comprehensive care you can count on for the best possible outcomes.
Levinson Heart Patient Testimonial- Bruce Shirley Extended Version
Levinson Heart Patient Testimonial - David Yager Extended Version
Levinson Heart Patient Testimonial - Thomas Ghent Extended Version
Our awards and distinctions
At Levinson, you can be confident that you’ll receive exceptional care from some of our region's top cardiovascular experts. Our heart and vascular department has earned a number of awards and distinctions, including:
- Joint Commission Gold Seal Certificate of Distinction for Myocardial Infarction (Heart Attack)
- Home to central Virginia's only arrhythmia care unit, where we treat both atrial arrhythmias and ventricular arrhythmias
- Our team was the first in Richmond to perform transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) for aortic stenosis
- Our heart failure treatment program was ranked as a Best Hospital by U.S. News & World Report in their 2017-2018 rankings
- Chippenham and Johnston-Willis Hospitals are Five-Star Recipients for Coronary Bypass Surgery in both 2016 and 2017 as awarded by Healthgrades
- Chippenham and Johnston-Willis Hospitals are Five-Star Recipients for Treatment of Heart Attack in 2017 as awarded by Healthgrades
- As part of our mission to continually offer the most advanced services and treatments, Levinson Heart Institute participates in a number of ongoing cardiovascular research projects, clinical trials and national databases
The Joint Commission - Chest Pain Center
SCPC Chest Pain Center
Healthgrades 2017 Coronary Bypass Surgery
Healthgrades 2017 Treatment of Heart Attack