Your Knee and Hip Replacement Experts in Richmond
Chippenham Hospital’s total knee and total hip replacement programs are accredited by The Joint Commission. This means our team exceeds national standards set by the leading authority in healthcare quality and safety.
Health Risk Assessments
Find out how healthy you are by taking our FREE health risk assessment:
Joint replacement surgery at a full-service hospital gives you access to innovative services and comprehensive care should you need it. We offer advanced joint replacement techniques not available at other health systems in Central Virginia, including Mako™ Robotics Technology. This minimally invasive approach relieves your hip or knee pain and gets you back to doing what you love.
Knee Replacement — Relieving Your Knee Pain
Knee replacement surgery, also called knee arthroplasty, relieves pain, and restores joint function. It involves resurfacing or capping the ends of the bones damaged by arthritis or injury with a prosthetic, or artificial implant.
We’re one of few Central Virginia hospitals to use the latest advancements for total knee replacements, including minimally invasive techniques and Mako™ Robotics Technology for precise and accurate alignment. We also offer customized implant solutions, which means a better fit, faster recovery, and enhanced function.
Candidates for Knee Replacement Surgery
You may be a candidate for knee replacement surgery if you:
- Experience knee pain with activity
- Feel pain even while resting
- Wake up during the night due to knee pain
- Have difficulty sitting, climbing stairs, or bending down
- Tried other treatments, such as diet, exercise, and medications, without success
Types of Knee Replacement Surgery We Offer
We offer options to fit your goals and lifestyle, including:
- Total knee replacement: Involves resurfacing damaged portions of all three bones (thigh, shin, and kneecap) that form the knee joint with metal and plastic implants. Implants vary depending on your weight, size, and activity level.
- Partial knee replacement: When damage is limited to a portion of the knee (inside, outside, or front), we may be able to spare healthy tissue and bone in a less invasive procedure. Partial knee replacement is also referred to as knee resurfacing.
Hip Replacement — Improving Mobility
Hip replacement surgery, or hip arthroplasty, resolves hip pain caused by injury from fractures, conditions like avascular necrosis, or severe arthritis. The result is better stability, mobility, and function, and less pain.
Candidates for Hip Replacement Surgery
Schedule an appointment with one of our joint experts if you:
- Experience hip pain or stiffness after sitting for a long time, or getting out of bed
- Have pain, swelling, or tenderness in the hip joint
- Hear or feel “crunching” in the hip joint
- Have tried other treatments such as medicines and physical therapy, without success
Types of Hip Replacement Surgery We Offer
Chippenham Hospital specializes in total hip replacement. Surgeons replace the ball of the thigh bone and socket of the pelvis bone with prosthetic (or artificial) pieces made from metal, ceramic, and/or plastic. The procedure involves removing the damaged cartilage and bone and implanting the prosthetic joint.
We’re one of few hospitals in Central Virginia to offer advanced Mako™ Robotics Technology for total hip and total knee replacements. This minimally invasive approach uses 3-D models and smaller incisions for unmatched precision and accuracy. This means less trauma to bones, tendons, and muscles, resulting in faster recovery and less pain than traditional approaches.
Joint Replacement from the Best in Richmond
Your joint replacement team at Chippenham Hospital is with you from expert diagnosis to education about the condition, and throughout surgery, recovery, and beyond. Patients choose our knee and hip replacement programs for:
- Excellent hip and knee replacement outcomes. Our total hip and knee replacement patients spend less time in the hospital after surgery — an average of one to two days for hip and two to three days for knee — and back to activities faster.
- Recognized, accredited care. Our programs are recognized by The Joint Commission, the nation’s leading authority on quality and continuous improvement in healthcare.
- Comprehensive preoperative education. To help ease anxiety before surgery, we offer a total joint replacement orientation including an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during, and after joint replacement surgery.
- Care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery. We offer inpatient and outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation all under one roof.
- Fellowship trained, board-certified orthopedic specialists. Your care comes from board-certified doctors and orthopedic surgeons. Many are also fellowship trained in their field.