Pediatric ER in Richmond
At Chippenham Hospital’s pediatric emergency room in Richmond, Virginia, we are ready to treat your children with the care and compassion that our littlest patients require. We are committed to keeping your child’s ER wait time low. Compassionate, quality emergency care is what we do, 24/7.
Our pediatric ER is staffed around-the-clock, in a cheerful and separate space designed just for kids, and we treat more than 1,200 children per month. We have the availability and expertise that matter most to you and your child.
If your child is experiencing an emergency, dial 911 immediately for transportation to the closest emergency room.
Why choose Chippenham Hospital's pediatric ER
Pediatric emergency needs are unique. Equipment, procedures, treatments and even medications can be drastically different for young patients than for adults. Our pediatric ER offers you:
- Greater Richmond's only dedicated pediatric ER unit staffed 24/7 by board-certified pediatric emergency medicine physicians and pediatricians, along with 13 dedicated pediatric beds
- A pediatric intensive care unit (PICU), should hospitalization be necessary
- Access to doctors, pediatric subspecialists and nurses specially trained in caring for children
- Advanced technology specifically designed for children and young adults
- 24-hour parental visitation encouraged
Pediatric ER FAQ
Chippenham Hospital's pediatric emergency specialists answer common questions in our "Doc Minute" series.
- What if my child swallows a penny?(Video)
- What if my child gets into medication at home?(Video)
- When should I worry about my child's vomiting and/or diarhhea?(Video)
- Can you get sick from being out in the cold?(Video)
The ER can be a scary place for kids. As a parent, you need the assurance of compassionate, expert care. That’s why we strive to give you peace of mind that your little one receives the best possible care in a comfortable, separate, kid-friendly environment.
Your child's safety comes first
Chippenham Hospital’s pediatric ER uses the Broselow System, ensuring an extra level of safety in an emergency. This system allows us to instantly access proper pediatric dosing, improve the speed and accuracy in acute preparation and administration of drugs, and reduce medical errors for our smallest patients.