Personalized Pregnancy and Childbirth Care in Greater Richmond
Few experiences are as joyous and life-changing as pregnancy and birth. At Chippenham Hospital, you and your developing baby receive the best possible care with safe, skillful, and supportive maternity services.
The OB/GYN team in Greater Richmond provides expert prenatal, labor and delivery, and postpartum care for every type of pregnancy, even those considered high-risk. We help you create your perfect birth experience with a range of services, including low-intervention, natural birth options and midwifery care. Take a video virtual tour now.
Our comprehensive pregnancy and birth services include:
- Prenatal classes and education
- High-risk pregnancy care
- Neonatal intensive care
- Maternal addiction services
Why Choose Chippenham Hospital for Your Baby’s Birth
When you deliver your baby at Chippenham Hospital, you receive a personalized experience. Families choose us because:
- Our team is experienced. On average, we deliver more than 1,000 babies a year. And our caregivers — including obstetricians, gynecologists, anesthesiologists, maternal-fetal medicine specialists, neonatologists, nurse practitioners, and certified nurse midwives —work closely as a team to make sure every delivery is safe and smooth.
- We support your preferences. You know your body better than anyone and we trust your instincts. We help you plan a comfortable, joyful delivery based on your needs. We also welcome and support doula care and can connect you to a doula in Richmond.
- You and your baby are safe here. Because unexpected complications can occur during labor and delivery, it’s important to choose a birth center that can handle emergencies at a moment’s notice. We offer a Level III NICU for premature or critically ill newborns, and enhanced security measures.
- We’re recognized for breastfeeding support. We’ve been named “Breastfeeding-Friendly” by the Virginia Department of Health for our efforts to promote and support breastfeeding among new mothers.
- We provide continuous care for your whole family. Chippenham Hospital offers specialized health services for all your family’s needs. This includes adult and pediatric emergency, hospital, and specialty care, and women’s health services for every stage of life.
Before Your Baby is Born – Prenatal Care for You and Your Baby
Whether you’re pregnant for the first or fourth time, we help you stay healthy, plan for birth, and care for yourself and your newborn with confidence. We offer:
- Birth center tours and childbirth classes. We offer guided tours of our maternity unit, so you know what to expect and can ask questions ahead of time. We also have a wide range of classes covering labor and delivery, breastfeeding, nutrition, caring for baby, and preparing your family for the new baby’s arrival.
- Personalized birth planning. Choose from an array of care tailored to your needs. We offer midwifery services and low-intervention birth options, such as natural pain management, wireless fetal monitoring, delayed umbilical cord clamping, and immediate skin-to-skin contact for you and your infant.
- High-risk pregnancy care. Our maternal-fetal medicine doctors take care of women who are carrying multiples, have certain medical conditions, or have had previous problems during pregnancy or delivery.
The Big Day – Labor and Delivery Care That’s Customized and Comfortable
Our caregivers are committed to providing you a one-of-a-kind birth experience in a supportive, soothing environment. We offer:
- A calm labor experience. Our intimate, private labor and delivery rooms allow you to labor your way, with the help of your caregiver or support person. We offer soaking tubs for hydrotherapy, private bathrooms, and comfortable sleeping arrangements for your partner.
- Welcoming, family-friendly setting. With a family kitchen and spacious waiting areas, your family will feel right at home throughout labor and delivery.
- Medical team ready for anything. Our team is here for whatever you need, 24/7. We have the latest obstetric technology and resources, including an anesthesiologist and dedicated operating rooms nearby for unplanned or emergency C-sections.
- Virtual support. If your military partner is deployed, our Patriot Baby program makes it possible for him or her to participate in your delivery in real-time via a webcam.
After Your Baby is Born – Postpartum Care with Abundant Support
At Chippenham Hospital, you receive our full support and attention until you leave the hospital and when you are home. Our services include:
- Family-centered care. We practice couplet care (also known as rooming in), so you and your partner can bond with your baby in a private setting. This means your baby stays with you in the room at all times, even during examinations. And the same nurse cares for you and your baby.
- Comprehensive breastfeeding support. Whether you’re experiencing nipple pain or can’t get your baby to latch, our on-site, International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) will help. After discharge, you can call a lactation consultant at (804) 483-2253. We also offer at-home consultations and breastfeeding support groups.
- Access to donor milk. If your baby needs more breast milk than you can supply, we offer human milk from donors. Our partnership with Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters in Norfolk means your baby can continue to receive the health benefits of breast milk.
- Ongoing support and counseling. It’s natural to feel overwhelmed with the challenges of motherhood, but you don’t have to do it alone. Learn more about our postpartum support groups or postpartum depression services, including 24/7 phone support.
- Baby photography. Chippenham Hospital partners with Mom365 for newborn portraits and an online gallery for family and friends. Learn more about the Mom365 photo experience.
Baby on the way? Chances are you have a million questions about feeding, sleep schedules, and babyproofing. Our classes help you feel confident and well-prepared.
Illness and injury tend to strike when you least expect it. Learn when you should bring your baby to the nearest ER, and when you should call your doctor.
Having a baby is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. So is choosing where to have your baby. Use our guide to compare your options and find your ideal birth center.