Advanced surgical technologies available for Chippenham patients
Technological advancements in healthcare and surgery have made it possible for some surgeries to be performed with the assistance of robotics. Please be assured that your surgeon is always precisely controlling all robotic movements with enhanced precision and care.
If your Chippenham surgeon has recommended you for robotic surgery, potential benefits include:
- A faster recovery
- A shorter hospital stay
- Fewer complications
- Less blood loss
- Less need for narcotic pain medicine
- Smaller incisions with minimal scarring
If you suffer from a condition that requires surgery, call Chippenham Hospital today to find a surgeon who can assist you at 804-320-DOCS (3627).
How robotic surgery works
A surgeon specializing in robotic surgery at Chippenham Hospital has undergone specialized and intensive training to use the specific robot required for your surgery. Our highly-experienced team of anesthesiologists, nurses, assistants and surgical technicians are also trained to support each surgeon’s needs during robotic-assisted surgery.
While each robotic system is different, most of them allow for a magnified area of the surgical site and require an experienced robotic surgeon to guide the robot from initial incision to closing the incision site. Some robotic systems enable surgeons to operate with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control versus a human hand. This allows incisions to be smaller and means less time on the operating table.
When faced with the possibility of surgery, patients are naturally concerned about downtime. Returning you to your active lifestyle as quickly and safely as possible is a shared goal you’ll have with the surgeons and healthcare providers at Chippenham Hospital.
Leaders in surgical innovation
Chippenham Hospital’s expert surgeons are consistently leading the way for others to follow with the integration of robotics in surgery. We frequently perform surgeries with a variety of robots, including:
- da Vinci Robotic Surgery System: Surgeries performed with da Vinci Robotic Surgery Systems use tiny incisions, much smaller than those of traditional surgery, to insert miniature instruments and a high definition 3D camera. Your Chippenham surgeon will view a magnified, high resolution 3D image of the surgical site and surgeon's hand movements during the operation.
- ROSA® Robotic Knee System: Chippenham Hospital is the first hospital in the United States to use the ROSA® Robotic Knee System in a total knee replacement surgery. The procedure is powered by the surgeon-controlled robotic arm system enabling advanced treatment options for more personalized surgical plan for the patient which results in greater accuracy. This new technology produces an accurate 3D virtual image of the knee based on 2D pre-operative x-rays. The surgeon is able to utilize the program's sophisticated software to formulate a precise surgical plan which, with guidance from the robotic arm, can be confidently and accurately executed during the procedure.
Chippenham Hospital’s expert surgeons are consistently leading the way with the integration of robotics in surgery. Other procedures robotic-assisted surgery can be utilized for include:
- Colorectal surgery
- Gallbladder surgery
- Gynecologic surgery
- Heart surgery
- Hernia surgery and repair
- Orthopedic surgery
- Urologic surgery
Robotic surgery videos
What is minimally invasive spinal surgery?
HCA Virginia's Virginia Institute of Robotic Surgery
Neighborhood Health Watch: Total Knee Replacement with MAKO Robotics
Robotic Patient Testimonial: Coach Rob talks about his surgery using the da Vinci robotic system.