Central Virginia’s Choice for Shoulder Replacement Surgery
If you have shoulder pain that keeps you from the simplest activities, such as reaching for a cup or folding laundry, it’s time to consider your options. Shoulder replacement surgery at Chippenham Hospital gives you the best chance to live pain-free, even if you’ve been told you have no options for your condition.
Here, we offer innovative procedures and personalized care from a whole team dedicated to your health before, during, and after surgery. What’s more, joint replacement at a full-service hospital means you have access to comprehensive care should you need it.
Shoulder Replacement — Reducing Your Pain
Shoulder replacement surgery, or shoulder arthroplasty, relieves pain from severe arthritis or injury and restores range of motion. It involves implanting part or all of a prosthetic (or artificial) ball and socket device made from metal and plastic.
We offer patients, even those with failed shoulder fracture surgery or rotator cuff tears, options for pain relief and improved function.
Candidates for Shoulder Replacement Surgery
Schedule an appointment with one of our joint experts if you:
- Experience shoulder pain or stiffness that interferes with your daily life
- Have pain that wakes you up from sleeping
- Are unable to move your arms above your head or have limited range of motion
- Have tried nonsurgical treatments such as medicines, physical therapy, and injections, without success
Types of Shoulder Replacement Surgery We Offer
Types of shoulder replacement surgery we offer include:
- Total shoulder replacement: Where the ball of the arm bone and shoulder blade socket are replaced with prosthetics. The procedure involves removing the damaged cartilage and bone and implanting the device.
- Partial shoulder replacement: Only the ball part of the joint is replaced. Partial shoulder replacement can be an option when the shoulder socket is still in good condition. It’s also called hemiarthroplasty.
- Reverse shoulder replacement: When the ball and socket are placed in reverse or opposite position. This is performed when rotator cuff tendons are damaged or certain fractures make a total shoulder replacement impossible.
- Shoulder replacement revision: Repairs issues or unresolved pain from a previous shoulder replacement surgery.
Advanced Shoulder Replacement Expertise in Richmond
Using a team-based, personalized approach to care, you return to the lifestyle you deserve, without pain. Patients choose Chippenham Hospital for:
- Comprehensive preoperative education. To help ease anxiety before surgery, we offer a comprehensive joint replacement orientation, including an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during, and after joint replacement surgery.
- Care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Comprehensive preoperative education. To help ease anxiety before surgery, we offer a total joint replacement orientation including an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during, and after joint replacement surgery.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery. We provide inpatient and outpatient physical therapy rehabilitation, all under one roof.
- Fellowship trained, board-certified orthopedic specialists. Your care comes from board-certified doctors and orthopedic surgeons. Many are also fellowship trained in their field.