Central Virginia’s Experts in Sports Medicine
If a sports or exercise injury has you sidelined, get moving again with Chippenham Hospital’s premier sports medicine team. Whether you’re a novice, athlete, coach, or athletic director, we keep you and your team active and operating at peak performance.
Health Risk Assessments
Find out how healthy you are by taking our FREE health risk assessments:
We offer advanced technology, expert advice, injury prevention and assessment, health and fitness training, treatment, and rehabilitation for individuals and teams of all ages and levels.
Our expert, multidisciplinary team includes sports medicine specialists, orthopedic surgeons, and licensed physical therapists with experience in rehabilitating sports- and exercise-related injuries. We’re all working for you.
Sports-Related Injuries and Conditions We Treat
Chippenham Hospital has decades of experience getting patients back to doing things they love after a devastating sports-related injury. Common sports-related pain and injuries include:
- Ankle/foot pain and injury: ankle sprains, high ankle sprains, Achilles tendon injuries, stress fractures, ligament inflammation (plantar fasciitis)
- Back pain and injury: muscle strain, ligament sprain, disc disorders, fractures
- Concussions: traumatic impact to the head causing dizziness, drowsiness, blurry vision, and other symptoms
- Elbow pain and injury: ligament tears as in tennis or golf elbow, bursitis, dislocation, tendon ruptures
- Hip pain and injury: hip pointer or contusion, hip flexor strain, labral tears of cartilage, or quadriceps strains, dislocations, bursitis
- Knee pain and injury: anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tears, meniscus tears, jumper’s knee (patellar tendonitis), patellofemoral syndrome
- Shoulder pain and injury: labral tears of cartilage, dislocations, rotator cuff tears, biceps injuries, nerve impingement, fractures
- Wrist/hand pain and injury: ligament tears, tendonitis, nerve injuries, stress fractures
Sports Injury Services in Richmond, Virginia
We offer nonsurgical, surgical, and rehabilitative therapies to get you back in the game and reduce the risk for re-injury. If you need surgery, our expert orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons are standing by, ready to assist.
Nonsurgical Sports Injury Care
Our nonsurgical sports-related injury treatments and services include:
- Sports-specific physical therapy and rehabilitation: As a first line of treatment or after surgery to restore strength, movement, and endurance. We help you manage pain and prevent further damage or re-injury with customized programs.
- Special injury care for baseball and softball players: Specialized care for athletes with injury or recovering from surgery due to problems caused by throwing. Programs include sports-specific exercises, return to sport drills, interval hitting, and interval throwing.
- Pain management therapies: Including injections, selective nerve root blocks, platelet-rich plasma (PRP), and nerve stimulation techniques.
- Concussion management: Our experienced doctors recognize the symptoms of concussions. We offer baseline screening, neurological evaluation, and clearance to return to activity safely.
- Sports physicals: We offer medical evaluations to ensure your student athlete is healthy and ready for safe play.
Sports Injury Surgery at Chippenham Hospital
The orthopedic surgeons at Chippenham Hospital perform minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery which involves small incisions and inserting a lighted tube into the joint. This allows surgeons to diagnose your condition and perform a variety of procedures on ligaments, bones, cartilage, and tendons.
Common sports-related surgeries we offer:
- Cartilage reconstruction: Repair or replace cartilage loss or damage in the knees using innovative techniques.
- Elbow tendon repair: Reattach the distal biceps tendon to the lower arm bone.
- Knee ligament repair and reconstruction: Including the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), medial collateral ligament (MCL), and the lateral collateral ligament (LCL).
- Joint replacement: Replace joint surfaces with artificial implants, such as shoulder, knee, and hip replacements.
- Meniscus surgery: Trim or remove torn cartilage in the knee.
- Rotator cuff shoulder repair: Reattach the tendon to the upper arm bone in a complete tear. In a partial tear, the surgeon trims and smooths the tendon and bone.
- Tommy John surgery: Replace an injured ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow with a tendon taken from another part of the body.
Sports Performance Services at Chippenham Hospital
Sports medicine is more than just treating injuries. It’s also about improving your performance doing the sport you love. We provide one-on-one evaluation and advanced technologies, including video gait analysis and biomechanics to assess how your muscles, tendons, and ligaments work together while you move.
Using the results, we develop specialized programs to help athletes of all ages and skill levels reduce the risk for injury and gain peak performance. Programs are designed for:
- Dancers: Our team offers extensive screening for hypermobility, posture, flexibility, lower extremity and core strength, and dance techniques. We create personalized training aimed at improving technique, conditioning, and quality of movement.
- Baseball/softball players: In addition to pre-season screening for injuries, we offer video-aided pitching/throwing analysis and computerized assessment of total body pitching mechanics, from wind up to follow-through. Our team provides evidence-based recommendations to improve performance and reduce injury.
- Runners: Our experts use video gait analysis, which includes assessing your running action on a treadmill, and biomechanics to create customized plans to help you reduce the risk of injury.
- Cyclists: We offer cyclist consultations that addresses posture, alignment, and the biomechanics of your movement to help you reduce the risk of injury and improve your experience.
- Golfers: In addition to swing analysis, our team outlines specific ways to perfect your swing and prevent injury caused by improper technique.
- Women athletes: Our team has expertise in helping women athletes with special needs related to pregnancy, postpartum issues, and what’s known as the Female Triad — a syndrome involving menstrual changes, energy imbalance, and bone health. We help you reduce risk for injury and improve strength for better performance.
- Athletes over 50: We offer training for athletes over 50-years-old who play a sport or just like to stay active. Programs are customized to your needs, and may include guidance on lowering risk for injury, improving nutrition and hydration, and staying healthy while taking into account medical conditions you may have.
Special Programs for Athletic Teams and Coaches
Chippenham Hospital’s sports medicine group offers customized team-based programs for all ages and sports, including high-school, college, recreational, and professional-level athletic teams. If you’re a coach or athletic director, we can keep your team healthy and strong. Contact us for:
- Team sports physicals
- Pre-season injury prevention clinics
- Free seasonal Saturday morning football injury assessments
- Certified athletic training, including onsite practices, game staffing, and physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Team sports performance enhancement programs
- Concussion management and medical release
A Comprehensive Team Approach to Sports-Related Injury and Care
You don’t have to be a professional athlete to be treated like one. Since 1988, athletes and sports teams have relied on Chippenham Hospital’s sports medicine program for:
- Combined expertise of teams working for you. You benefit from shared clinical expertise of the region’s largest sports medicine team of board-certified primary care sports medicine physicians, fellowship trained orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, licensed physical therapists, certified athletic trainers, and sports performance specialists.
- Advanced, research-based treatments. Our patients can participate in and benefit from research that advances the field of sports medicine.
- Community partnerships and expertise. We partner and support schools and countless regional sports teams and events. In fact, we’re the official sports medicine sponsor for Chesterfield County Public Schools, Richmond Multisports, and the University of Richmond Spiders.
- Compassionate care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with nurse navigation, case management, and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Care in a full-service hospital. If you need surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.
Get moving again, pain-free with Central Virginia’s accredited total knee and hip replacement program, featuring minimally invasive, robotic-assisted techniques.
Renowned spine care specialists use innovative surgical techniques to pinpoint and treat your back or neck pain, fast. Learn about our collaborative approach.