Children's and teens' behavioral health programs in Richmond
Tucker Pavilion at Chippenham Hospital provides treatment programs uniquely designed for children five to 12 years old and adolescents 13 to 17 years old with emotional and behavioral health issues. Our services include inpatient stabilization and individualized recovery care plans that make safety and stabilization top priorities.
We also offer an outpatient, short-term partial hospitalization program (PHP) for adolescents 13 to 17 years old. This program provides a flexible treatment option for teens who need intensive, outpatient support, evaluation by a psychiatrist or a gradual transition from an inpatient setting.
If you or a loved one may be in crisis, Tucker Pavilion can help. Call our 24-hour behavioral health access line at (804) 483-0050.
Child inpatient mental health care program
Our inpatient program offers stabilization for children and adolescents ages five to 17 years old that are in need of acute inpatient treatment. While maintaining patient safety is the primary goal, objectives of hospitalization include preliminary diagnosis, initiation of treatment and connecting patients and their families with outpatient community resources for ongoing treatment. Each patient is unique and progress toward treatment goals is evaluated daily, however, the average length of a hospital stay is five to seven days.
Upon admission, members of the treatment team gather information from the patient and the parent/legal guardian to complete the following assessments:
- Patient strengths
- General physical health
We also measure ongoing programming and progress based on response during:
- Community/reflection meetings
- Patient goal setting/progress
- Sleep assessment
- Therapeutic exercise
- Journal assignments
- Group discussion on mental wellness topics, such as emotions, coping, family, social skills and symptom management
- Pet therapy
- Leisure and quiet times
Aftercare planning begins on admission. Outpatients plans will be arranged prior to discharge.
Outpatient care program
At Tucker Pavilion, we’re committed to providing short-term mental health services and offering an outpatient partial hospitalization program (PHP) for the treatment of adolescents. An adolescent partial hospitalization program is available as a step-down from our inpatient care program for patients who need additional structure and more intensive outpatient care and support.
Our PHP includes an evaluation by a psychiatrist, which is also helpful if the patient is transitioning from an inpatient setting. The program offers treatment during the day with the convenience of being home with loved ones in the evening.
This program is designed to help a patient who:
- Is between 13 to 17 years old
- May be experiencing behavioral or emotional difficulties
- May have symptoms of depression, anxiety and/or other obstacles when functioning in everyday situations
- Needs support to achieve stabilization
- Needs to develop coping skills and learning to manage stress
- May have recently had an inpatient psychiatric admission and needs to step-down to a structured support program
- Psychiatric and medication evaluation
- Intensive group therapy addressing the developmental and social challenges of adolescents
- Individual and family interventions
- Social and recreational practice opportunities focused on building resiliency
- Evidence-based recovery model based on cognitive behavioral therapy and didactic behavioral therapy
To learn more about our adolescent partial hospitalization program, including our services for teen depression, please call (804) 521-8975.Adolescent Partial Hospitalization Program Schedule