Your hip replacement experts in Richmond, Virginia
Chippenham Hospital's total hip replacement program is accredited by The Joint Commission, which means our team exceeds national standards set by the leading authority in healthcare quality and safety.
Joint replacement surgery at our full-service hospital gives you access to innovative services and comprehensive joint care, should you need it. We offer advanced joint replacement techniques not available at other health systems in central Virginia, including a robot-assisted technique for hip replacement surgery. This minimally invasive robotic approach relieves your hip pain and gets you back to doing what you love.
To learn more about our hip replacement services, call (804) 320-3627.
Your joint replacement team at Chippenham is with you from diagnosis and education about your condition to surgery, recovery and beyond. Patients choose our hip replacement program for:
- Excellent outcomes—Our total joint replacement patients spend less time in the hospital after surgery—an average of one to two days for a recovering hip—and back to activities faster.
- Comprehensive preoperative education—To help ease anxiety before surgery, we offer a total joint replacement orientation, including an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during and after joint replacement surgery.
- Care throughout the journey—We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery—We offer inpatient and outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation all under one roof.
- Fellowship-trained, board-certified orthopedic specialists—Your care comes from board-certified doctors and orthopedic surgeons. Many are also fellowship-trained in their field.
Chippenham Hospital has also received The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® for Advanced Certification for Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement. Chippenham Hospital the first in central Virginia to earn this certification and only one of only a select programs nationwide.
Chippenham has received the Advanced Certification Gold Seal from the Joint Commission for Total Hip Replacement. There are fewer than 120 hospitals in the entire country and we are among them.
What is hip replacement surgery?
Hip replacement surgery, or hip arthroplasty, resolves hip pain caused by injury from fractures or other hip conditions, like avascular necrosis or severe arthritis. The result of the procedure is better stability, mobility, function and less pain.
Candidates for hip replacement surgery
Schedule an appointment with one of our joint experts if you:
- Experience hip pain or stiffness after sitting for a long time or getting out of bed
- Have pain, swelling or tenderness in the hip joint
- Hear or feel “crunching” in the hip joint
- Have tried other treatments, such as medicines and physical therapy, without success
Types of hip replacement surgery we offer
Chippenham Hospital specializes in total hip replacement. Surgeons replace the ball of the thigh bone and socket of the pelvis bone with prosthetic (or artificial) pieces made from metal, ceramic and/or plastic. The procedure involves removing the damaged cartilage and bone and implanting the prosthetic joint.