Advanced knee replacement in Richmond
Chippenham Hospital provides Richmond residents with both partial and total knee replacement surgeries at our full-service hospital, which offers innovative services and the comprehensive care you need during your joint replacement.
Our orthopedic surgeons are board-certified and our joint replacement programs are accredited by The Joint Commission, which means our joint team performs above the national standards set by the leading authority in healthcare quality and safety.
To learn more about our minimally invasive knee replacement services, call us at (804) 320-3627.
Your joint replacement team at Chippenham Hospital is with you from diagnosis to education, and from surgery to recovery and beyond. Patients choose our knee replacement program for:
- Excellent joint replacement outcomes—Our total knee replacement patients spend less time in the hospital after surgery—an average of two to three days for a recovering knee—and are back to activities faster.
- Comprehensive preoperative education—To help ease anxiety before surgery, we offer a total joint replacement orientation, which includes an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during and after joint replacement surgery.
- Care throughout the journey—We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery—We offer inpatient and outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation under one roof.
What is a knee replacement procedure?
Knee replacement surgery, also called knee arthroplasty, relieves pain and restores joint function. It involves resurfacing or capping the ends of the bones damaged by arthritis or injury with a prosthetic or artificial implant.
We’re one of few central Virginia hospitals to use the latest advancements for total knee replacements, including minimally invasive techniques and robotic surgery technology, such as MAKO™, for precise and accurate alignment. We also offer customized implant solutions, which means a better fit, faster recovery and enhanced function.
Candidates for knee replacement surgery
You may be a candidate for knee replacement surgery if you:
- Experience knee pain with activity
- Feel pain while resting
- Wake up during the night due to knee pain
- Have difficulty sitting, climbing stairs or bending down
- Tried other treatments, such as diet, exercise and medications, without success
Types of knee replacement surgeries we offer
We offer options to fit your goals and lifestyle, including:
- Total knee replacement—Also known as total knee arthroplasty (TKA), a total knee replacement is when orthopedic surgeons resurface damaged portions of all three bones (thigh, shin and kneecap) that form the knee joint with metal and plastic implants. Implants vary depending on your weight, size and activity level.
- Partial knee replacement—When damage is limited to a portion of the knee (inside, outside or front), we may be able to spare healthy tissue and bone in a less invasive procedure. Partial knee replacement is also referred to as knee resurfacing.
Robot-assisted knee surgery
The orthopedic surgeons at Chippenham were the first in the country to use the ROSA® Knee System, a minimally invasive, robotic surgical tool to perform total knee arthroplasty.
The ROSA® Knee System uses 3D preoperative planning tools along with real-time, intraoperative data on the patient's bone anatomy and soft-tissue. This real-time mapping data allows our surgeons to personalize surgeries and enhance outcomes.