Children's orthopedics in Richmond
Our pediatric orthopedists at Chippenham Hospital understand the unique needs of children with orthopedic disorders. That is why our team provides a safe, comfortable environment for the diagnosis and treatment of pediatric orthopedic conditions.
To learn more about our pediatric orthopedic services, or to speak to a specialist, call (804) 320-3627.
Pediatric orthopedic care
Pediatric orthopedics at Chippenham Hospital offers kids and parents a full range of orthopedic services, ranging from emergency care for a broken bone, like a broken arm, to the most complex inpatient surgeries, like spine surgery.
Orthopedic care at Chippenham is built around you. Patients in Richmond and across central Virginia come here for:
- Care in a full-service hospital—If you or your child needs surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.
- Fellowship trained, board-certified specialists—Your child's care comes from board-certified doctors, specially trained in orthopedics, orthopedic surgery, sports medicine and neuro surgery.
- Comprehensive care you deserve, all in one place—We have the latest imaging and testing services to evaluate and diagnose orthopedic conditions at the earliest stages. Our hospital also offers both inpatient and outpatient orthopedic rehabilitation services. This means you and your child can get diagnostics, treatment and therapy in one place, from one team.
- Compassionate team committed to your health—You benefit from a team of doctors, surgeons, nurses, physical therapists and other specialists and professionals dedicated to helping you and your child get better, faster.
Pediatric orthopedic emergencies
Broken bones are painful, and it takes a special touch to make a child who’s in pain feel better. When you come to the pediatric ER at Chippenham, feel confident knowing our pediatric ER is staffed around the clock with board-certified emergency care physicians and pediatric specialists, and high-quality care is delivered in a cheerful space designed just for kids. Our pediatric ER is also separated from our main emergency room, starting at the waiting room.
Pediatric orthopedic surgeries
Hearing your child needs surgery is difficult for even the most seasoned parents. At Chippenham, we know kids are frightened just thinking about it. From the minute you and your child enter our hospital, we’ll do our best to make your child feel comfortable, like minimizing your wait time and starting the IV line after your child is already under anesthesia. Our operating teams also specialize in working with kids, so they know how to soothe even the most anxious children.
Pediatric orthopedic inpatient care
Families are one of the most important parts of the medical care team. You know your child better than anyone, and you should understand and agree with their care plan. Our pediatric hospitalists, nurses and other specialists will communicate and work with you on a daily basis. We share all test results and treatment plans so you can make informed decisions about what's best for your child.
Conditions we treat
Our pediatric orthopedists provide expertise in diagnosing and treating a wide variety of conditions, including:
- Adolescent bunion
- Cerebral palsy
- Congenital disorders
- Clubfoot and other foot disorders
- Curly and claw toes
- Flat and club foot
- Hip disorders, such as DDH, Perthes and SCFE
- Growth plate fractures
- Knee injuries and knee pain
- Leg deformities
- Leg-length inequality
- Osteochondroma and benign bone growths
- Patellar dislocations and patellofemoral pain
- Perthes disease
- Skeletal dysplasias
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis
- Syndactyly and polydactyly
- Tarsal coalition
- Trigger thumb
- Torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)
A pediatric orthopedic patient at Chippenham, Megan suffered an injury during cheerleading practice that left her with three broken bones. She sought treatment from Dr. Christopher Kim, who was able to perform surgeries on Megan, which have promoted her recovery and healing.