Comprehensive care for children in the Richmond community
At Chippenham Hospital, our pediatricians and other pediatric specialists care for thousands of children each year. As the only pediatric hospital unit in south Richmond, we’re here for your child. From your child's very first breath in our comfortable labor and delivery suites, to inpatient pediatric care, we specialize in providing the higher level of care and monitoring children need and deserve.
To learn more about our pediatric care services, call us at (804) 320-3627.
What makes Chippenham pediatrics special
Chippenham has earned The Joint Commission's Gold Seal of Approval® for pediatric asthma certification. We're the only hospital in Virginia and only one of 10 in the country to receive this certification from The Joint Commission—the nation’s premier health care quality improvement and accrediting body.
Our pediatric department offers a wide range of services and amenities, including:
- A dedicated floor for children, adolescents and young adults with all private rooms
- Pediatric physicians and staff available 24/7
- Pediatric ER with board-certified pediatric physicians on site 24/7
- Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) with board-certified pediatric physicians on site 24/7
- Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) with 24/7 visitation
- 24/7 parental visitation, as we believe you are a key member of your child's care team
- A playroom stocked with age-appropriate toys, games, books, movies and video games
- A kitchen and waiting room for families of pediatric patients
- Pet therapy
- Music therapy
- Interdisciplinary meetings twice a week with all members of your child’s care tea
Your child's treatment team may include a pediatrician, pediatric specialists, social worker, case manager, dedicated pediatric pharmacists, pediatric-trained respiratory therapist and other certified therapists.
Our pediatric specialists treat patients with a variety of acute and chronic conditions and disabilities, including diabetes, asthma, spinal corrections, orthopedic procedures, general pediatric surgery needs, croup, pneumonia and so much more.
We understand children are different and give them the bedside manner they deserve. The hospital staff and pediatric ER staff put the safety and comfort of your child above everything else. Our pediatric units are secured, and visitors must provide identification and sign in and out.
Our Hoppymobiles are here to take the "scary" out of being in the hospital. Going to surgery in a wheelchair or on a stretcher can be frightening for children. The motorized vehicles are just for our littlest patients and customized with our mascot, Hoppy.
- Each car can be driven by the patient or can be controlled by remote for those who may have trouble steering
- Prior to hitting the road, each driver will receive an official Hoppymobile Driver's License (you'll have one to show) with his/her name on it that gives him/her the right to drive
- The cars are used for our littlest patients to drive to surgery, whether it be from the Pediatric ER, Same Day Surgery, or our Pediatric unit
In the News
- Hoppymobiles debut at Chippenham Hospital
- Local hospital offer ‘hoppy mobiles’ for kids to drive to treatment
Pediatric ER in Richmond
In addition to our pediatric services, Chippenham also has a pediatric ER specifically designed for children of all ages. Unlike normal emergency rooms, our pediatric ER is designed to care for children, from the brightly decorated waiting area to the diagnostic equipment our pediatric specialists use to determine how best to treat your child.
Pediatric mental health
For children and adolescents struggling with depression, addiction or mental health issues, we offer comprehensive inpatient care at Tucker Pavilion.