Neck, back and spine specialists in central Virginia
The spine is a complex structure that provides mobility and strength to the body. When there is a deformity, injury or disease, common activities, such as turning, bending or stretching, can cause pain.
At Chippenham Hospital in Richmond, we offer nonsurgical and surgical spine treatments for adults and children. If surgery is needed, our expert spine surgeons use advanced options for fast recovery and less pain. We’re known throughout central Virginia for helping people with the most complex conditions find relief and get back to living again.
To learn more about our spine care services, call us at (804) 320-3627.
- Multispecialty care from a team dedicated to you—Our team includes board-certified and fellowship-trained doctors from orthopedic care, neurosurgery, psychiatry, anesthesiology and pain management who work together to provide whole-patient care.
- Compassionate care throughout the journey—We’re here every step of the way with nurse navigation and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Preoperative education to help you feel at ease—We offer a one-on-one preoperative education class with our nurse navigator to help you prepare for spine surgery and improve your outcome.
- Advanced intraoperative imaging tools—Our surgeons use the O-arm™ system that provides 2D/3D images during the procedure. This offers more precise diagnosis, treatment and safety.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery—In addition to advanced diagnostics, our hospital also offers pain management services and both inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation from licensed therapists who understand orthopedic and spine conditions. This means you can get everything you need in one place, from one team.
- Care in a full-service hospital—If you need surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.
Back and neck conditions we treat
Back or neck pain is caused by damage from injury, disease or wear and tear to the spinal bones (called vertebrae), muscles, nerves, discs (cushion between the vertebrae) or tendons. Pain can happen in the cervical (neck), thoracic (middle) or lumbar (lower) areas of the spine.
The orthopedic and spine teams at Chippenham Hospital use a multispecialty approach to diagnose and care for your condition. We treat a wide range of neck, back and spine conditions, including:
- Bone spurs—Bone overgrowths
- Degenerative disc disease—Breakdown of the discs
- Herniated discs—Ruptured or bulged discs
- Osteoarthritis—Wear down of the protective cartilage that cushions the ends of the bones over time
- Sciatica—Nerve irritation
- Scoliosis and kyphosis—Spinal curvature
- Spinal stenosis and myelopathy—Narrowing of the spinal canal
- Spinal tumors and cancer—Growths in or around the spinal column or cord
- Spine fractures—Caused by trauma, injury or arthritis
- Spine infections—Osteomyelitis
- Spondylolisthesis—one vertebra slips over another
- Sports injuries—caused by repetitive movements or trauma
Nonsurgical and minimally invasive back and neck treatment
We evaluate your overall health and lifestyle to recommend the safest and most appropriate treatments. Chippenham Hospital offers nonsurgical and minimally invasive therapies, such as:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation—Strengthens and stabilizes the core using medically supervised fitness plans developed by board-certified physical therapy doctors, called physiologists
- Spinal injections—Involves image-guided technology to deliver medications to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. These include epidural steroid injections, facet joint injections, sacroiliac joint injections, nerve blocks and trigger point injections
- Nerve stimulation techniques—Delivers low-voltage, electrical currents to relieve pain, as in transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy and implanted peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS) devices
- Interventional spine procedures—For example, radiofrequency ablation that uses heat to destroy tissue, such as tumors or the sensory nerves that cause pain
Advanced spine surgery
The spine surgeons at Chippenham Hospital perform a variety of surgeries to stabilize joints, decompress pinched nerves, fuse bones and correct deformities. These include:
- Digital biplane angiography (3DBRA)—Advanced imaging that creates a roadmap of your blood vessels to precisely locate and treat injury
- Discectomy/microdiscectomy—Removes all or part of the disc, or the cushion between the vertebrae
- Laminectomy or laminotomy—Removes part of the back bone which covers the spinal canal to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves; Often performed with spinal fusion surgery
- Foraminotomy—Removes bone or tissue to open the space where the nerves leave the spinal canal; Sometimes also performed with spinal fusion surgery
- Disc replacement surgery—Replaces a damaged disc with an artificial one (We perform complex cervical disc spinal surgeries)
- Vertebroplasty—Treats spinal fractures, eases pain and restores height (Medical cement is injected into the spongy vertebral bone)
- Kyphoplasty—Uses a balloon to create a space, which is filled with medical cement
- Spinal fusion—Increases spine stability by joining two vertebrae using bone grafts and sometimes implants, such as rods and screws (We use bioresorbable implants that eventually disappear)