Provisional Level I Trauma Center in Richmond
If you are critically injured in central Virginia, Chippenham Hospital’s Level I Trauma Center is dedicated to delivering the best possible care during life's worst and most unexpected moments. Having a nearby trauma center could make the difference between life and death. If you are treated within an hour of your incident, or the “golden hour,” your chances of survival increase.
If you or someone you know is experiencing an emergency always call 911 first.
Located in Richmond, our Level I Trauma Center provides a higher level of care for the most critically injured patients. Our specially trained physicians, surgeons and medical professionals are prepared to provide you the critical attention you need 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you aren't certain about a critical care situation, you can contact a nurse, 24 hours a day, by phone at (804) 320-3627.
Trauma care services
Our Provisional Level I Trauma Center includes:
- A comprehensive team of trauma-trained and board-certified surgeons across varying specialties
- Prompt assessment, resuscitation, surgery, intensive care and stabilization for critically injured patients
- A helipad for quick transport from an accident to the trauma center or to another medical center, if necessary
- A comprehensive program to regularly review of our care standards based on national standards published by the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Emergency Physician
- Five-Star Recipient Treatment of Respiratory Failure seven years in a row (2011 to 2017), as awarded by Healthgrades(TM)
- A program to evaluate quality and provide ongoing staff education to ensure we continue to provide high-quality care to the community
- A community outreach program ™
Streamlined, coordinated trauma care
We work closely with our emergency medical services (EMS) partners to provide critical care before you even arrive at Chippenham, so we can best anticipate and prepare for your immediate needs.
Our EMS partners have knowledge and experience in trauma care, allowing them to make split-second, life-saving decisions. Your survival often depends on the EMS provider’s ability to rapidly evaluate your injuries and determine the appropriate place for you to receive trauma care. In most cases, the EMS staff and our trauma team are communicating and preparing for your arrival.
Our EMS provider partners include:
- Amelia Ambulance Service
- Ashcake Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Ashland Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Bensley Bermuda Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Charles City County Volunteer Fire Department
- Chesterfield Gov
- Defense Supply Center Richmond
- Delta Medical Transport
- Dupont Teijin Films
- Dupont MERT - Chesterfield
- East Hanover Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Emergency Training Systems Inc.
- Ettrick-Matoaca Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Forest View Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Forest Ambulance Service
- Goochland Fire and Rescue
- Hanover County Fire and EMS
- Henrico County Division of Fire
- Henrico Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Lakeside Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Manchester Volunteer Rescue Squad
- New Kent Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Management
- Powhatan Volunteer Fire Department
- Powhatan Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Priority 1 Ambulance Service
- Providence Forge Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Richmond Ambulance Authority
- Richmond Fire and Emergency Services
- Richmond Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Tuckahoe Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Virginia Dragway, Inc.
- Virginia State Police - Med Flight 1
- West Hanover Volunteer Rescue Squad
Learn about some of our patients' stories and how our trauma center care team was there to provide them the comprehensive treatment they needed, from accident through recovery.
John's story—traumatic spinal injury
John, was mountain biking when he was involved in an accident on a trail. As a result, he was unable to move his arms or legs. He was alone, until a passerby approached him and called 911. John had a severe spinal chord injury in his neck and hematoma of the brain. See how John tremendously improved since the accident and how a team at Chippenham helped bring him back on track.
Ron's story—accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound
Watch as Ron, a trauma patient who was treated at Chippenham, describes his experience fighting for his life and receiving expert care.
Annette's story—car accident
Watch as Annette, a trauma patient who was treated at Chippenham, describes her experience being trapped in the car after a serious car accident and receiving exceptional care.